Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Blogging the day away

I have been getting very into blogs, my not so techie friends. So I have been toying with the idea of making what is essentially a journal more of a blog, with more frequent postings, links, thoughts, ramblings, etc. I hope you will enjoy the new format which will be a learning experience for me.

So first of all, Maor had a great time on her SEED shabbaton in New York.

She met girls from all over the USA and had a full program of fun things to bring the group together including a surprise trip (with the girls blindfolded) to the beach! Both my NY cousins went to visit Maor while she was in NY. She came home Sunday tired and happy.



So I am now subscibed to about 50 different blogs, about libraries, Israel, Judaism, books, and web 2.0. I have started using Google Reader to get automatic updates of the feeds. One of the interesting things I found today is the following:

Nefesh B'Nefesh is initiating a simple project this week called "12 to 12". We are asking every Oleh to compose a list of 12 great things you appreciate and love about living in Israel and email your message to 12 (or more) friends abroad.If you send this out to your friends, please CC 12to12@nbn.org.il when you send it out.Please send out your letter before Friday June 8.

So here is my list:

12 things I love about living in Israel:
1. Being in a supermarket before any holiday and knowing that everyone is in the same boat, religious or non-religious, Sephardic or Ashkenazi; - everyone is hosting or being hosted, buying rimonin, matzot, cheese for cheesecake.
2. The period between Pesach and Shavuot, when Israeli flags are flying throughout the country for the upcoming Yom Haatzmaut and Yom Yerushalayim.
3. The togetherness and solemnity of Yom Hashoah and Yom Hazikaron, when the country shuts down its stores and entertainment.
4. Knowing if chalilah something is wrong by the music on the radio.
5. Really feeling the New Year start in the fall, with Rosh Hashana, as the whole country gets ready for the chagim.
6. Acharei hachagim, and how nothing gets done until then.
7. The kids can play outdoors and go to friends by themselves.
8. Dropping in and visiting neighbors without advance notice.
9. Finding short sleeve or elbow length shirts year round.
10. Not paying thousands of dollars a year for my child to get a Jewish education.
11. Hebrew rap music (Hadag nachash, Subliminal)
12. The feeling that I am truly at home.

And here are links to several others:

Life in Israel

A Mother in Israel

Maor needs the computer for her homework and I need to make supper before my ice skating lesson, so signing off for now.

4 comments:

mother in israel said...

Ice skating in June in CA?

How old is Maor?

Thanks for the link!

Batya said...

I like your list.
When I wrote mine, I suddenly felt stumpted.

Fern Chasida said...

Maor is 12 - her Bat mitzvah was in December but she's having a party in Israel this summer for her 2000 nearest and dearest friends (and that number is only slightly exaggerated). It's amazing how into ice skating they are here. The rink I use is the official practice facility of the San Jose Sharks, the local hockey team.

Thanx Muse! And thanks for commenting (my first comments woohoo!)

Juggling Frogs said...

This list made me sigh.