Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2007

Encore, encore

At the meme Booking through Thursday Deb writes: "If you could have just ONE more book from an author you love . . .Who would the author be, and why?"

This is very timely for me since I am listening to my all time favorite book on audio, Beach Music, by Pat Conroy. I have read this book several times and even though I'm an avid reader (currently reading: Bad Luck and Trouble by Lee Child) Beach Music has never been displaced from its #1 spot in my heart. Although Mr. Conroy has written other works since Beach Music in 1995, including the autobiographical My Losing Season, there have been no new novels since then.

So I have to say that I would LOVE to read a new novel by Pat Conroy and I am always on the lookout hoping that one day it will appear. If you are not familiar with Pat Conroy or his books, you should run not walk to your nearest library, bookstore, or online secondhand bookseller to try one of his books. Pat Conroy was born in Atlanta, Georgia and was a military brat who moved 23 times before he was 18. His books take place in the south and his most well known book is probably Prince of Tides which was made into a major motion picture with Barbra Streisand and Nick Nolte. Beach Music tells the story of Jack McCall who flees to Rome to raise his young daughter after his wife commits suicide. It spans 3 decades of life in South Carolina while dealing with both Vietnam and the Holocaust. It is an engrossing story that doesn't let you go.

P.S. Read JMC's post about Beach Music which appeared a day after mine here.

7 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

I've never read Pat Conroy ... I didn't like the "Prince of Tides" movie, so was put off of the book.

Maybe I'll give it a try!

Anonymous said...

I haven't read Pat Conroy either, but maybe I should. Happy BTT!

Chris said...

Neither have I. Very strange.

email said...

I just wrote a post about Beach Music, and thought I'd search to see what else was out there about him and his work. I've read most of his work, all of his fiction, and I LOVE it. Beach Music is by far my favorite novel ever.

Anyway, it's quite the coincidence you answering that he is the author you'd like to see one more book from him, since I found in my search, not only your post, but also word that he IS currently working on a new novel. YAY!!! It is set in Charleston, SC, and is already over 700 pages long. Can't wait until it comes out! No word on the date as of yet.

chavlene said...

Who has time to read??
Hi dear! Welcome to the blogosphere...

Ilene

Fern Chasida said...

Chav....
i think you're the only one of my friends who is tech savvy enough to even leave a comment at the blog itself! thanx for checking in! reading b4 laundry, cooking, cleaning and any other inconsequential tasks!

email said...

So THAT'S why my house always looks like a hurricane's been through!

Thanks for the post-post plug! :)