Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Tools for book lovers

The web site Lifehacker which recommends software downloads and web sites that save time has a post on 13 book hacks for the library crowd and it is worth checking out.

My favorite so far, even though I just signed up for it tonight is ELF, a site that helps you track and manage your library accounts. As you know, since coming to California I have fallen in love with the public libraries and I am now the proud owner of 4 library cards (for now). Maor has 2 library cards. As you can imagine, it can get complicated tracking what books you have out, when they're due, what holds are waiting for you, and so on. ELF does all the work for you and sends you e-mail reminders and updates. As a matter of fact, once I put in all my information, ELF informed me that one of my holds is waiting for me and I haven't gotten the notice from the library itself yet!

Another site that seems promising is paperback swap, which is similar to bookmooch. Both sites let you swap your books with others. On bookmooch you get points for both listing books and sending books, as well as leaving feedback. On paperback swap you are given 3 points to get started and then you get points when you send books out. I've been signed up on bookmooch for a little while with no action but already on paperback swap I ordered 2 books and it looks like someone wants a book I have. I generally don't buy books (see above re library cards!) but Arthur buys books when he travels so I am trying to swap them. Will see how it goes.

If you would like to try paperback swap for yourself just click here:

0 comments: